The area was settled before 1903 by local blacks and blacks from other southern states.
We are approximately 81 in population.
We are about one square mile in size.
We have no industry, merchants or stores.
We have two sources of municipal income:
Natural gas, which we purchase from the gas company and sell to local residents, and
water which we purchase from the local water district and sell to local residents.
We currently have a three member town board and operate as a statutory Township.
We are located off HW 51B off HW 51 east of Tulsa or 51B off Hwy 69 north of Muskogee.
We have three churches and no schools. Children are bussed five miles to attend school.
We have approximately three miles of surfaced streets.
We have a Post Office, Utilities Office, Town Center, Court House and our "Jail" house.
Welcome to Red Bird, Oklahoma
103 South Main Street - 74458
^ Town of Red Bird ...Main at Boston
Some pages under construction. Check back later.
Our currently elected board members:
Edna V. Davis
< Mayor, Leo Townsell
Red Bird was one of several all black towns established prior to Oklahoma statehood (1907)
Our Churches: Left to right -Shiloh Baptist, established prior to 1908. First Baptist, established before 1900. Waton Chapel AME, established before 1910 and Church of Christ, established prior to 1958.
Above: Our old "Un-beloved" Jail from early 1930's through the early 1950's. Not used since its last two occupants escaped by "clawing" through its crudely cemented roof.
Our landmark water storage tower.
Fire Department Main Building -Main at Norfolk
1 -Town Center, 2- First Baptist Church, 3-Waton Chapel CME Church, 4- Church of Christ and 5 -Shiloh Baptist Church